Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for creating or providing concept art, photo reference, and video reference to communicate ideas and develop goals for the design and look of a show(s): 40%
- Provides conceptual paintovers and look direction for sequences and key shots for directorial approval. Art work is then used as a template for CG artists to complete work: 15%
- Provides creative direction and feedback to a team of concept artists, supervising the creation of artwork and materials; leads team to stay on schedule: 10%
- Oversees the creation of CG assets from Concept art, ensuring design continuity through the production process: 10%
- Responsible for interacting directly with clients, including Directors and Production Designers during production periods and at spec and bid work phases; ensures first unit production design and aesthetic is carried through post production and refined according to the director’s vision: 5%
- Partners with CG leadership, ensuring work is done according to the specifications of Director/Key Creatives: 5%
- Tracks and archives all work including project files, renders, source images, and textures: 5%
- Partners with production on bids and scheduling, proactively raising concerns and offering solutions when necessary: 5%
- Actively participates in dailies and transmissions: 5%
Key Peers or Relationships
Sr. Art Directors, Creative Director, Art Department Production Manager, CG Leadership, VFX Supervisors, Global Art Department Management Team and Studio Creative Director.
- Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or proven industry related experience.
- Experience in Film or Video Effects and/or Film production, including knowledge of cinematic techniques, language and shot composition
- Full portfolio demonstrating high-level art skills and breadth of subject matter.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Developed “eye” and strong aesthetic
- Clear understanding of anatomy and motion of organic and mechanical forms.
- Demonstrated understanding and creation of a variety of styles and techniques.
- Experience creating environments, hard surface, and creature design
- Ability to work closely with CG leadership and within a production environment
- Ability to support different productions with various design needs
- Ability to work under pressure while implementing changes based on input from multiple sources
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficiency in design software required (Photoshop, ZBrush Sketch-up, Modo, etc.)
- Ability to assemble research and reference material that will be influential to clients and design team
- Time Spent on Computer (what percent of each day?): 75%
- Does the job require any lifting? If yes, what is the maximum amount of pounds that will be lifted? 30 lbs
- Does the job require a constant amount of standing, sitting, walking, etc? If yes, what percent of each day?: Sitting, 75%
- Does the job require any type of physical repetitive activity? If yes, what is the activity and what percent of each day is it being done?: Computer work: 75%