At DreamWorks Animation Television, our Lead Effects Artist works closely with the Global VFX Supervisor and show Creative Leadership to achieve the desired look of the series while managing the FX scope of the episode and its producibility. The Lead Effects Artist ensures all deliverables align with the production’s schedule and technical specifications.
DreamWorks Animation Television has an exciting new opportunity for a Lead Effects Artist to join its team based in Glendale, California. This position is covered by the Animation Guild.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review episode animatics and provide feedback related to complexity and FX counts for future episodes
- Design, animate, light and composite high quality effects through to completion
- Lead a small internal FX team
- Call out FX rigs for upcoming episodes in Shotgun
- Design, set-up, organize and document reusable FX rigs for Partner Studio(s)
- Collaborate with Partner Studio(s) to develop and implement assets
- Review and provide noted direction on assets submitted by our Partner Studio(s)
- Create or aid in the creation of Python tools as needed
- Work with the Lighting/Compositing supervisor and the CG Animation Director to ensure resources are being allocated to the appropriate areas of the show
- Optimize set-ups for efficient rendering
- Collaborate with the Leads and Artists in other CG disciplines to help establish processes and pipeline integration
- Document and/or review documentation created by FX Artists; workflows and processes will be documented using Camtasia video and Publisher software
- Assist with training the CG Artists and Leads at Partner Studio(s) and new hires at DWATV; training may include creating videos, documentation and in-person demos at Partner Studio(s) or during Partner Studio visits at DWATV
- Serve as Effects point person in production-specific meetings and reviews
- Strong understanding of Maya dynamics; knowledge of rigid bodies, nCloth, nParticles, fluid systems, and soft bodies
- Extensive understanding of Real Flow
- Experience with Houdini
- Strong background in rendering
- Knowledge of Mental Ray and Vray and building its shading networks
- Experience in advanced compositing and knowledge of Nuke
- Strong aesthetic for lighting, composition, and color
- Travel to international Partner Studio(s)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and enjoys working in a team environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment under tight deadlines
- Strong time-management skills
- At least 5 years of experience working within a 3D production pipeline
- Experience with Python and Particle Illusion a plus
- Experience in television, game production or VFX highly desirable
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.