The Pipeline TD (Houdini-centric) provides a line of support for our artists in departments using primarily Houdini as their main creative tool. It could encompass FX, CFX, Grooming, Environment or others and it entails supporting more than Houdini itself. It is about the continued integration of Houdini with the rest of our pipeline and the facilitation of data exchange cross-departmentally. As such the Pipeline TD is an integral member of the core Pipeline Team.
It is a position that allows one individual to touch on and be exposed to the whole gamut of a VFX Pipeline. As part of a cohesive software team (R&D, Pipeline and IT), the Pipeline TD will use their curiosity and investigative skills and listen to our artists, department supervisors and cg supervisors to identify their challenges and provide implementations and capabilities that integrate smoothly in the overall software platform.
The Pipeline TD contributes to the overall operation and improvement of the Facility Pipeline. This will include but will not be limited to engaging in cross-department communication, flagging/providing solutions to critical path issues, and creating documentation.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide support for artists in learning and using the pipeline
- Provide support to the VFX departments and to the Productions in the smooth running of tasks through our pipeline.
- Determine the broad technical and creative approaches, in conjunction with the Pipeline Lead, the Pipeline Team and the Head of Technical Production
- Build and maintain elements of the legacy pipeline with an emphasis on smoothing out and optimizing the flow of our processes
- Create facility-based or show-based scripts and tools
- Be an additional point of support for shot based issues, alongside leads and supervisors
- Communicate successes and challenges faced by the team to the Pipeline Lead and Head of Technical Production
- Act as a liaison for communicating technical issues to IT or R&D
- Use time management skills to schedule tasks effectively
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Prior experience as a Pipeline TD
- A degree or equivalent in Computer Graphics, Computer Science or other related course
- A solid understanding and interest in multiple areas within VFX software development (e.g. asset management, user support, procedural scene generation, fx, fur, lighting, animation, etc)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience of Python and shell scripting is required.
- Experience with Linux is required
- Solid and clean coding practices to understand and expand on our existing code base
- Knowledge of Houdini and one other DCC like Maya, Nuke and/or Shotgun
- Experience with HDK a plus
- Experience with modern VFX data formats and APIs like Alembic, USD, or VDB a plus
- Experience building software (SConstruct, CMake, Git) is a plus
- Not intimidated by peer reviews while code-developing
- A knack for UI/UX is plus and we might ask you to use that skill
- Any previous experience with Cortex or Gaffer is a super plus ( Apply)
- Interest in monitoring and identifying potential inefficiencies in a production pipeline
- Have a knack for helping others and taking pleasure in making other people's life easier
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities and projects
- Ability to take direction and feedback from a supervisor or a peer
- Team oriented with good communication skills
- Ability to work in a sometime tight-deadline environment
- Interested to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications but not fooled by its PR
- Ability to derive the path to take for implementation given a particular time constraint is always a plus