Weta Digital is an industry-leading, award-winning visual effects and animation facility based in Wellington, New Zealand.
We are hiring for a Lighting Head of Department, to join our Lighting Management team.
Our Lighting team comprises of more than 80 of the world's leading Lighting TDs. Collectively they help to solve a wide variety of VFX problems to ensure all Weta’s amazing artists’ work is on display in the final product.
This is a unique opportunity to play a key role in a company who continues to push the boundaries in technology with a slate of exciting projects in production.
** To be successful in this role you will -**
If this sounds like you we would love to hear from you.
- Understand and deliver on the responsibilities and expectations of the Lighting Department.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Lighting Department Manager to build effective teams for deployment on shows.
- Work with the Senior Head of Department of the Shots Group to align Lighting to the goals and requirements of the group.
- Have proven positive experience leading teams.
- Enjoy a dynamic work environment and maintain decorum in pressured situations.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Have a deep understanding of the technology and techniques relevant to the department disciplines (lighting workflows, shading, rendering technologies).
- Have an excellent understanding of the gamut of VFX workflows and how the Lighting workflow fits into the whole.
- Have proven practical experience lighting for VFX.
- Effectively assist in rolling out changes to the Lighting team with a minimum impact.
- Develop and grow your team through effective feedback, reviews and education.
- Nurture and provide career guidance and growth opportunities to artists
- Foster strong, positive, collaborative relationships with your peers.
- Balance near term objectives with long term opportunities.
- Provide guidance to Pipeline and R&D teams on the requirements, design and to some degree implementation of the lighting toolset and pipeline.
- Act as stakeholder and represent the interests and requirements of Lighting to other departments and effectively negotiate to ensure the outcomes are the best for the company.
- Actively manage the CG Supervisors and Lighting Lead teams and ensure their needs are represented and supported across the company.
- Have a strong interest and excellent understanding of optics, materials, lighting, form, rendering, colour theory.
- Be able to represent Weta Digital professionally in all external interactions.
- Understand and manage financial/budget information as required.
- Have well-developed team & project management skills.
- Create preliminary lighting bids for new projects.
- Provide mentorship for your team.
- Address any performance issues with team members quickly and effectively while fostering a culture of objective review, transparency, trust and personal growth.
- Have 10+ years or equivalent of practical VFX post-production experience.
Location: Wellington - New Zealand