OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Blue Sky Studios
We are a collection of enduring brands and iconic, unforgettable characters. We create content for audiences big and small, reaching billions of people every day. Most of all, we are many individuals, each uniquely talented, each a critical piece to our puzzle, who collectively become a power. Desire to thrill and engage? Join us as we engage and inspire.
Responsible for building and leading a team of talented artists on a uniquely stylized animated film. Working closely with the Director, Art Director, VFX supervisor as well as studio leadership, candidate is expected to design and develop sophisticated and compelling effects assets. Must have a strong visual aesthetic with the skills to communicate this aesthetic to the team and guide its execution. A solid understanding of simulation/proceduralism and how it can be used to achieve non-photorealistic, stylized effects is desired. An expert understanding of Houdini is required with experience using USD and Renderman (or other path traced renderers) being a plus. Should have experience bidding, casting and tracking work in collaboration with production management. This individual is expected to foster a collaborative environment between artists and departments while demonstrating a strong interest in mentoring future leaders and helping develop a robust training program to enhance the artistic and technical skills of the department
Essential Functions/Responsibilities :
· Attends all related meetings and disseminates the information to the team.
· Pursues, and recommends new technology and methods.
· Evaluates new candidates for hire.
· Establish standard work flows for efficient production.
· Reviews all work produced by the department.
· Works closely with the Art Director and Directors.
· Coming up with both technical and creative solutions to problems involving effects.
· Assign and delegate tasks to the appropriate crew members.
· Work closely with APM/PC/PA in the day to day management of the staff and dependent assets.
· Communicate closely with Production Management in order to estimate, plan, schedule and raise red flags.
· Create annual reviews for Effects Crew identifying areas of improvement while recognizing their strengths
Education and/or Experience Required:'
· Prior experience leading a team producing effects for multiple large scale productions.
· Extensive knowledge of effects related software packages (Maya, Houdini, Realflow, Syflex, Massive, etc.)
· Experience working on multiple features animation projects and production pipelines.
· Able to communicate efficiently with staff, up and down stream departments and management.
· Someone who is positive, enthusiastic and proactive.
· Balance of both technical and creative aspects of visual effects.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.