Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Industrial Light + Magic
Lead Compositor – ILM TV
ILM Feature Production
Position Summary / Job Purpose
(Intent of the job and key results of the work)
The compositor combines live action and computer generated elements into visual effects shots that realize the vision and creative direction of the client and Visual Effects Supervisor. The compositor is ultimately re s ponsible for the aesth et ic inte grity and techni cal quality of the final image delivered to the client.
(Key or essential priorities for fulfilling the job’s purpose)
% of Time
- Work with the Compositing Superviso r and Visual Effects Supervisor to evaluate the creative and technical approach for assigned shots.
- Point person for either a sequence of shots, or defining a “look” being developed,
- Perform all tasks associated with the compositing process, including 2D tracking, matte extraction, layering of elements, and color grading on difficult shots .
- Maintain the overall look, color balance, and quality for assigned shots and sequences to create uniformity in all finished work.
- C reate generic looks for other artists to apply.
- W ork collaboratively with artists from other disciplines.
- Independently provide solutions to technical and aesthetic problems , with minimal direction, and can handle the most difficult tasks under intense time pressure . .
Job Requirements (Education, Experience and Skills/Competencies)
- Proven Track record of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television games.
- Strong understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television.
- Strong knowledge of Nuke.
- Strong aesthetic skills in judging photo-realism and color.
- Strong communication skills.
- Can quickly learn new software and techniques.
- Ability to work gracefully under pressure to meet deadlin es, and with minimal supervision.
- Minimum of 5 yrs of compositing experience in a feature film or commercial production environment.
- S trong sense of composition, color and design.
- Ideal candidate has s trong fine arts foundation skills, such as photography and photographic lighting.
- Familiarity with using Linux sy stems
- Previous experience in look development and sequence supervision ideal.
- Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins a plus.
- Python and/or C++ experience a plus.
Uses a computer keyboard at least 80% of total work time.
1 of 1