Lucasfilm Animation and creators of the Emmy award winning animation series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and the highly successful animation series “Star Wars: Rebels” are looking for a versatile Assistant Technical Director to join their production team.
The Assistant Technical Director is responsible for assisting pipeline engineering in the development of tools and support of an episodic animation pipeline. Daily tasks include ensuring automation systems are running and functioning properly, while simultaneously monitoring of job queues on the render farm. The Assistant Technical Director also serves as a first responder to support requests from production staff to ensure reliable communications between ongoing productions and animation technologies, and to assist the creative production staff on shows.
- Develop an understanding of episodic animation pipelines.
- Take direction from the Technical Supervisor concerning tasks and priorities.
- Maintain documentation of tools (API documentation, examples, etc), department work flow, ongoing tasks, and planned tasks.
- Participate in the planning stages of technical projects.
- Provide training and assistance to artists.
- Learn and follow coding conventions and standards.
- Assist with the management of all production-related data.
- Experience and/or passion for software and tools that relate to a computer graphics environment.
- Proficiency in Linux.
- Experience with CG production software (Maya, Houdini, Nuke, etc).
- Experience with rendering pipelines (MentalRay, Renderman, etc).
- Strong Python scripting required.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate at both a technical and non-technical level with colleagues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with diverse personalities.
- Must be able to handle critique and (code) review.
- Proven ability to work autonomously and in team settings.
- Experience with C/C++
- Experience with animated and/or episodic production pipelines.
- Experience with databases such as MongoDB, SQL, and PostgreSQL.
- Experience with web frameworks such as Flask and Django.
- Experience contributing to open source projects.
- Able to demonstrate strong planning abilities such whiteboarding, mind mapping, and flow charts.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.