OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Blue Sky Studios
We are a collection of enduring brands and iconic, unforgettable characters. We create content for audiences big and small, reaching billions of people every day. Most of all, we are many individuals, each uniquely talented, each a critical piece to our puzzle, who collectively become a power. Desire to thrill and engage? Join us as we engage and inspire.
Purpose of the job:
An Effects TD is responsible for the look development, creation, and implementation of visual effects for CG projects using proprietary and off-the-shelf tools. This role may be expected to create either stylized or photorealistic natural phenomena with or without concept art. Experience with particle and fluid simulations is required. Broad technical skills and creative problem solving abilities are also necessary. Must be able to collaborate with other Effect TD’s to enhance the team environment and work closely with other departments to communicate requirements and ensure final work is of the highest quality. Some coding and/or scripting background is a plus.
- Work with FX department to design and implement visual effects under the direction of the Effects Supervisor.
- Development of tools and techniques for the efficient production of visual effects.
- Test and debug new techniques and tools for current and future projects.
- Communicate with up and down stream departments.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- Expertise in one or more: particle simulation, fluid dynamics, MEL
- Developed sense of basic animation principles, primarily timing and weight
- Adept with one or more major animation/effects package (Maya, Houdini, XSI, or other)
- Familiarity with other effects software packages (Realflow, Syflex, or the like)
- Knowledge of basic programming concepts and practices (C, C++, C-Shell, Python, Perl, .rib or similar)
- Proficiency within a Unix/Linux operating system(navigation, shell scripting, etc).
- Experience working in a production environment and/or achieving aesthetic goals on a schedule.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.