OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Blue Sky Studios
One of the world's largest producers and distributors of motion pictures, 20th Century Fox Film produces, acquires and distributes motion pictures throughout the world. These motion pictures are produced or acquired by the following units of 20th Century Fox Film: Twentieth Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox International Productions, and Twentieth Century Fox Animation. Blue Sky Studios is the animation studio behind the wildly successful ICE AGE and RIO franchises, along with this year's FERDINAND animated feature film!
Our summer internship program is a fun, exciting and education-packed 10 weeks. Each intern is specially selected and placed in a department that best fits their skills and interests. Throughout the 10 weeks they will be mentored and supervised by a Blue Sky professional in that field.
All of the Summer 2019 internships start in early June and end in early August. They are open to all college students whose graduation dates fall within the following time frame: Winter 2018 through Spring 2020. All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship by the Company.
The Lighting/Compositing Department is responsible for developing and implementing the lighting design of an animated film. A lighting & compositing artist starts with an animated shot and use the techniques of lighting, rendering and compositing to achieve the director’s final vision for the shot. As an intern, you will be exposed to Blue Sky’s lighting philosophy and techniques and receive hands-on experience with our evolving tool set. Lighting interns should have a basic understanding of lighting and compositing principles. They should have demonstrable artistic skills including a working knowledge of color, light, perspective, scale, and composition. Interns should have experience working in Maya, Houdini, Renderman and/or Nuke. Experience with photography and/or painting is a plus.
Cover letter, Resume, PDF per the information below and a reel showcasing lighting and compositing examples.
Education and/or Experience Required:
Pursuing BS or MS in Animation, Fine Arts, Computer Science, Computer Visualization or related studies.
Essential Functions/ Responsibilities:
- Work alongside Lighting Supervisor, Lighting Leads, and Lighting TDs to obtain Director approval of shots.
- Learn the ins/outs of lighting for designated shots, utilizing master lighting rigs, color keys, and direction from Lighting Supervisor and Lighting Leads.
- Observe and master the Compositing and Rendering systems of all elements and layers for each shot.
- Genuine interest in lighting and compositing.
- Experience with and understanding of basic lighting concepts.
- Familiarity with scripting concepts (C-Shell, Perl, Python, RenderMan, MEL and/or similar).
- Familiarity with one or more animation package (Maya, Softimage, etc.)
- Familiarity with Linux operating systems.
Skills, Abilities, Special Licenses or Certificate:
- Ability to manage resources to achieve aesthetic goals on schedule.
- Strong problem-solving skills
Please make sure you include the following in your application:
-A separate pdf with a list of the following information:
- Your name
- Your school
- Month/year of your graduation
- Contact information for 3 references
- Link to your website and password (if applicable)
- If apply for multiple departments, list order of preference
- If you currently have the legal right to work within the US
-If you have a demo reel, please make sure to include a link (and password if you have one) in the online application as well as your resume and the separate PDF. Put it in as many places as possible. :)
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.