Walt Disney Animation Studios has been combining the best in artistry and storytelling with cutting-edge technology to bring wonderful new characters and adventures to the big screen for audiences around the world. We currently have an exciting opportunity for Effects Artists to join the team at our Burbank, CA studio.
Disney Effects artists create stunning visuals through collaboration with artists from all parts of the animation pipeline. Whether giving nature a style makeover or creating hyperrealism, they push the boundaries of what is possible. They are challenged to create the unexpected and to invoke an emotional impact in support of the creative vision.
- Design, execute, and support a variety of high-quality photorealistic and stylized visual effects
- Develop all effects from conception through completion within production deadlines in a pipeline-consumable form
- Work closely with all departments to achieve the desired look and integration of effects elements.
- Bring authorship, emotional impact, and art direction to various effects through a creative, artistic vision while meeting the director’s vision in an efficient manner
- Work with the Effects Supervisor to design technical approaches and establish artistic goals for projects or sequences
- Continually push one’s personal growth as an artist
- Participate as a proactive team member to determine and share various design and technical solutions
- Challenge the status quo by developing innovative tools and/or techniques
- 3+ years experience in CG visual effects production for animation, live-action film, or television
- Advanced procedural and dynamic simulation experience with high-end 3D software: “Houdini” required; “Maya” a plus; Nuke or equivalent compositing tools; and experience with GI rendering a plus
- Proficiency with fluid simulations, rigid simulations, particle systems, and FX pipeline authorship using procedural animation techniques
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative workspace, work well alone or within a team, as well as with other departments
- Strong understanding of animation fundamentals, including timing and appeal
- Good “eye” toward light, color, design, and composition. Observation skills of natural phenomena, comprehension of physics, and ability to implement
- Flexible problem-solving skills and attention to detail and quality
- Very open to direction
- Participate in and embrace a culture of continual innovation and change
- Strong communication skills including the ability to clearly convey both artistic and technical concepts and processes
- Linux and scripting ability in Python preferred; shader and C++ skills also applicable
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience
Visual examples of images exemplifying work in this area are requested for review.
Additionally, please include a resume and reel breakdown with your online profile.
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.