Framestore is a global leader in visual effects and computer graphics, having won every major industry award; including an Oscar and BAFTA for the film ‘Gravity’.
The Rendering team develops and supports the software used for rendering our production quality visual effects, including our in-house renderer, state-of-the-art shader libraries and artist focused rendering tools that are used globally across all of Framestore’s film projects.
We’re looking for a Senior-level Engineer to join and help take on new and upcoming production challenges. The Role
Our in-house renderer ‘freak’ is developed to generate production quality visual effects for feature films. Developed by a dedicated team of engineers in collaboration with the Shading department and production, Freak has proven a great success delivering our first batch of projects, and we are looking to build upon, strengthen and improve the technology.
Working within the Freak team, you will be responsible for:
- The development of new and current rendering technology to help deliver complex, technically challenging visual effects shots.
- Building relationships with CG supervisors and senior artists to help identify features and workflows to improve the quality and efficiency of rendering.
- Implementation of new features, with a focus on scalable, robust, high performance code.
- Identification and optimisation of render scalability issues in production.
- Improvement and maintenance of existing code, with a focus on quality, reliability, and maintainability.
- Investigating and fixing bugs, testing new and existing features and ensuring smooth deployment of software to the production environment.
- 3-5 years of industry software engineering experience in C++ as part of a team.
- Several years experience of hands-on experience in VFX, games, or animated feature production, including familiarity with lighting, shading, and look development.
- Comprehensive understanding of rendering technologies, such as path tracing, sampling, shading, geometry. Strong understanding of the mathematical concepts involved in computer graphics.
- A keen interest in research, with a solid understanding of the challenges found in production software (efficiency, memory, scalability).
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Contribution to the development of a production renderer, or similar graphics-oriented tool in a relevant industry.
- Experience developing plugins for VFX tools such as Maya, Houdini, Nuke etc.
- Comfortable in a Linux Development environment.
- A working knowledge of programming in Python
/privacy-policy. If you do not consent for your data to be used in this way then please do not continue with your application.