We are seeking Crowd FX Artists to join our Burbank, CA studio. Our Crowd FX Artists apply their creative and technical skills to populate Walt Disney Animation Studio projects with world-class crowds. They will be part of the filmmaking process from asset creation through early shot layout to final rendering.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Apply creative and technical skills to create great looking crowds.
- Design crowd character behavior from scratch within Houdini.
- Create crowd versions of character geometry, materials, and rigs with an eye towards variation and efficiency.
- Identify and breakdown behaviors into cycles for artists to animate.
- Work with the larger production to populate shots with crowds from early layout to final rendering.
- Be a strong collaborator during brainstorming and problem-solving sessions.
- Identify opportunities to share knowledge and educate others on production process.
- Strong understanding of the film making process in a large-scale VFX or CG animation production.
- Strong understanding of crowd agent design, simulation, and behavior.
- Strong understanding of the principles of effects particle systems, animation, and simulation.
- Strong technical understanding of digital pipeline issues and optimization.
- Good understanding of modeling, texturing, and rigging techniques.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to present ideas and to communicate clearly with artistic and studio leadership.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment, taking as well as giving direction with tact.
- Bachelors degree or higher in Art, Cinema Studies, Computer Graphics, Computer Science, Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience.
- Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
- Houdini®, Maya®, Renderman® or other render engines.
- Crowd simulation tools/techniques
- Particle system tools/techniques
- 3D sculpting, texturing, and rigging tools/techniques
- The Unix/Linux environment
- Python and Mel scripting
Visual examples of images exemplifying work in this area are requested for review. Additionally, please include a resume and reel breakdown with your online profile.
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.