DreamWorks Animation Television seeks a Director for an 11 minute, board-driven 2D animated comedy. Our Directors lead a Storyboard team, taking episodes from outline, through writing and boarding and deliver to animatic. Directors are expected to draw and write a large portion of their assigned episodes. They will assign sections of the outline to Storyboard Artists, and oversee the execution of the board. Directors will pitch to Executives and take notes. Our Directors ensure that the style, vision, and creative ambitions for the storyboards are met for each of their assigned episodes. Working closely with the Storyboard Artists and Revisionists, our Directors are also providing guidance and mentorship to their team.
DreamWorks Animation Television has exciting new opportunities for Directors to join its in-house team based in Glendale, CA. This position is covered by the Animation Guild. We are seeking candidates who are familiar with the animation pipeline and experienced in drawing storyboards.
- Storyboard and write episodes from outline along with the Storyboard Artists.
- Assign work to Storyboard Artists, and oversee their work.
- Assign work to Storyboard Revisionists, and oversee their work.
- Participate in storyboard reviews. Receive notes from Executive Producers and direct Storyboard team to implement notes.
- Evaluate the continuity and quality of all storyboards and punch up the storyboards and/or animatics as needed.
- Review the initial animatic build with Animatic Editors to direct timing and pacing.
- Provide status updates, troubleshoot, and review potential changes on a regular basis with production staff.
- Participate in the talent acquisition process with the Line Producer to review portfolios and tests, interview candidates, and provide detailed and timely feedback.
- Mentor and support the Storyboard team and cultivate positive team morale.
● Strong drawing skills with a demonstrated sense of staging, composition, and cartoony character acting.
● Strong comedic writing skills and understanding of story structure and dialogue.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills.
● Proven ability to meet deadlines and keep a team on schedule.
● Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
● Proven comedic storyboarding abilities.
● Prior Storyboard Directing experience or extensive Storyboarding experience.
● Familiarity with Storyboard Pro and Photoshop.
● Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
● Ideal candidates will be able to provide storyboard samples.
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.