Our Flagship West Coast Telemundo station, T52/KVEA is looking for an experienced, creative and motivated leader to partner with the News Director to help manage aspects of the station’s News department including long and short range planning. This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic team where quality performance is recognized and rewarded.
The successful Managing Editor candidate will be one who has strong news judgment, is responsible for production of content, supervises editorial staff, and supervises the execution of the daily newscast. The managing editor will be a model staff member. This position will report directly to the VP of Content.
• Responsible for giving directions to the editorial team.
• Responsible for newscast format, on-air look, and execution of daily newscasts.
• Provides supervision and instruction to reporters, producers, and associate producers. Contributes constructive and helpful criticism.
• Responsible for executing all aspects of the on-air presentation of content for all shows.
• Produces live and taped broadcasts from conception to air, including planning, writing, copy-editing, pre-broadcast coordination, rehearsal, and on-air timing.
• Reviews copy for errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Reviews content for style, and agreement with editorial policy.
• Coordinates with directors, creative services, and promotions department to execute station sponsorships.
• Produces and writes materials for target audiences integrating multi-media platforms.
• Monitors the station’s coverage of breaking news and the competition’s coverage.
• Evaluates performance appraisal process in conjunction with the Assistant News Director and VP of Content.
• Oversees daily story assignments and performs other duties as assigned.Qualifications/Requirements
• 5+ years experience as news manager in a mid size to large size newsroom
• Solid managerial skills and sound experience in the field are needed for this job.
• Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) required both written and verbal. Skilled or master use of the Spanish language.
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels.
• Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and have the ability to train, coach, and motivate staff members
• Advanced oral and written communication skills.
• An experience of working with the latest newsroom tools.
• A degree in journalism or a closely related field is required.
• Have highly developed digital skill sets with experience to operate on different media platforms.
• Have strong news judgment with knowledge of legal and ethical issues in multi-media platforms.
• Ability to help set policies.
• Willingness and ability to work long hours, late nights and weekends as required. Good attendance and ability to avoid tardiness is crucial.
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.