Position at Industrial Light & Magic
With an emphasis on proportion, form, detail, and functionality, the hard surface modeler creates three dimensional objects to be painted, animated and used in a production.
- Creates three-dimensional hard surface models like mechanical objects, environments, and props for the Animator, Painter, and Technical Director. Employs specific software tools to build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production.
- In building an object, the modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, an understanding of mechanisms, and a basic understanding of animation
- Works with production team (Sr. Modeler, Technical Directors, Painters and Animators) to determine the “look” for an object
- Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process.
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Architectural/Industrial Design or equivalent having gained a strong sense of surface development, proportion, and mechanical functionality. Traditional model building a plus.
- Proven experience creating inorganic objects in a feature film or production environment.
- 2-3 years polygon/sub modeling experience. Knowledge of Linux is a necessity to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline.
- Texture painting and UV layout experience desirable