At DreamWorks Animation Television, our Surfacers work closely with the Global VFX Supervisor, show Creative Leadership and Partner Studio(s) to create appropriate texturing solutions and shader networks for complex sets, characters, and props. The Surfacer ensures that all deliverables align with the production’s schedule, technical specifications, and creative vision of the series.
DreamWorks Animation Television has an exciting new opportunity for a Surfacer to join its team based in Glendale, CA. This position is covered by the Animation Guild.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform texture painting and setup shader networks for CG characters, props, and sets using Maya, Mari, and Photoshop
- Consistently align with the styles of multiple projects and utilize specific styles to texture characters, props, and sets
- Document workflows and processes using Camtasia video and Publisher software
- Review and provide noted direction on assets created by our Partner Studio(s)
- Work closely with Partner Studio(s) to ensure all surfacing work adheres to the creative and technical specifications of the production while ensuring scheduled deadlines are met
- Collaborate with the Leads and Artists in other CG disciplines to help establish processes and pipeline integration during the course of RnD, prebuild for new shows, and current show production
- Serve as Surfacing point person in production specific meetings and reviews
- Strong background producing highly detailed, realistic texturing and shading networks
- Experience creating high-quality texture maps, including all supporting maps (transparency, specular, bump, etc.)
- Strong understanding of color theory and application
- Advanced knowledge of Mari, Maya, Photoshop, and UV unwrapping
- Understanding of the Maya Shading network and V-Ray
- Thorough understanding of the CG pipeline, UV layout, and principles
- Flexible to changes and able to prioritize and follow through on requests
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced production environment
- Strong attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and enjoys working in a team environment
- At least 5 years of experience in television animation, feature animation, VFX, and/or video games
- Ideal candidates will be able to provide surfacing/texture samples
- Experience with asset management software, Shotgun preferred
- Experience working with international Partner Studio(s) is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.