As a Render Technical Director (Render TD), you will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the rendering and lighting tools, software and workflows used on our award-winning VFX and Feature Animation shows. You will be providing front-line technical support to lighting artists, identifying inefficiencies in workflows and troubleshooting lighting scenes to enable our talented lighting artists to deliver world-class work on each show.
Our Render TDs are highly technical and demonstrate an aptitude for creative problem solving. You will regularly be required to:
- provide face-to-face support and assistance for lighting artists
- assist with the creation of technical robust setups, such as light rigs and scene templates, for use throughout our shows
- contribute to testing and provide feedback for software releases from our R&D teams that impact lighting and rendering
- help identify and resolve inefficiencies in the lighting and rendering pipeline
As well as being able to demonstrate technical skill and initiative, you will need to be an excellent communicator and be able to work enthusiastically in a highly collaborative environment. You will work closely with our Render Supervisors as well as supervisors from other departments, such as Model, Texture, Look Development and FX, to identify and highlight rendering considerations and help optimise their lighting tools and workflows. Your ability to aid communication between these departments in the reporting and resolving of issues and to accurately communicate between technical developers and non-technical artists will help you thrive in this role.
Above all, you will be working as part of a team of exceptionally talented TDs and Render Supervisors alongside our dynamic and creative R&D department, contributing to the production of exceptional VFX and Animation work on projects ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas. Must have
Nice to have
- Previous experience in the visual effects or a related industry
- Practical experience with lighting and rendering DCCs such as Clarisse, Katana and Houdini
- Experience with path tracing renderers such as Clarisse, Renderman and Mantra
- Render wrangling experience
- Look development experience
- Shader writing experience
- Python programming skills
- Experience writing tools ands scripts for the lighting pipeline
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montreal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.