As our Lead Colour Developer, you will lead our team of Colour Developers and work alongside our Colour Scientists to develop, improve and implement tools and software, predominantly written in C++, into our colour pipeline. You will be responsible for code that is depended upon by all of our stunning and award-winning Visual Effects work, interfacing with proprietary software and third-party tools.
At Double Negative, we work on multiple large-scale Visual Effects and Feature Animation projects in parallel. As a result, we handle a lot of data coming from and going to our clients and this is where a large portion of the tools and software you will be developing and maintaining are used, for example in file format conversions, movie generation and debayering of raw footage.
Our Colour Developers are highly knowledgeable software developers with an in-depth knowledge of colour science and grading. You will regularly be required to:
- create tools to receive raw data from clients and perform file format conversions to enable its use in our Visual Effects pipeline
- collaborate with our Colour Scientists to develop and maintain the suite of tools and software which make up our colour pipeline
- liaise with supervisors in our Editorial, 2D and Visual Effects departments to establish requirements for the development of new colour tools and workflows
- respond to urgent requests from clients or production supervisors based on their specific colour requirements
- ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
We are working at the cutting edge of Visual Effects and Animation technology, so you will be relied upon to stay at the forefront of the industry with an eye on how future developments in camera technology, industry standards and relevant open-source software might have an impact on our tools or pipeline, and to prepare us for potential future changes in data requirements from clients.
This is an exciting opportunity to join Double Negative’s Production Technology department and work as a part of a team of talented Colour Developers and Colour Scientists contributing to the technology and techniques behind exceptional – and award-winning – Visual Effects and Feature Animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas. Must have:
Nice to have:
- Extensive programming experience in C++
- Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent industry experience
- Familiarity with running and writing software with Linux, Windows and OSX
- Knowledge of video and audio codecs (e.g. Libavcodec)
- Experience with OpenColorIO (OCIO) and OpenImageIO (OIIO)
- Keen interest in emerging camera and film technologies
- Practical knowledge of OpenGL
- Experience using Open Shading Language (OSL)
- Practical experience writing Python bindings
- Experience using Nuke
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montreal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.