At DreamWorks Animation Television, under the guidance of the Art Director, the Character Designer creates character designs, turns, expression sheets, special poses, mouth charts, costumes and any other character-related art that the production may require. Character Designers ensure that all deliverables align with the production’s schedule, technical specifications, and creative vision of the series.
DreamWorks Animation Television has an exciting new opportunity for a Character Designer to join its team based in Glendale, CA. This position is covered by the Animation Guild.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete all rough, revised and final designs necessary within assigned deadlines
- Craft clear and detailed designs for characters in the style of the show
- Create detailed rough and clean turns of the characters, expression sheets, special poses, mouth charts, costumes and any other character related art needed
- When required, add tone and highlight lines to the characters
- Reference storyboards, style guide, show bible and/or source materials to understand the context and to ensure continuity of the character designs
- Support and maintain the artistic vision of the series
- Willingness to take feedback and rework material while maintaining a fresh perspective
- Communicate progress of work to appropriate production staff and ensure all deadlines are met
- Ensure all artwork is properly backed up, organized and stored appropriately
- Ensure all shipping materials are prepared and ready on time
- Strong character design skills
- Skilled at drawing and a thorough understanding of anatomy and perspective
- Advanced knowledge of Photoshop
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Is a team player, who genuinely enjoys working with others
- Strong time-management skills
- Works well in a fast paced production environment under pressure
- At least 3 years of experience in television animation, feature animation and/or video games
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Portfolio that demonstrates strong character design skills
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.