Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Industrial Light & Magic (UK) Limited
Director of Animation
Responsible for designing and creating the motion of CG Characters, C reatures or other Assets within a shot while overseeing the animation of a sequence of shots on a specific production.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead creation of outstanding animation for graphics creatures and objects within a shot, using various animation software programs
- Comprehend and execute direction from Lead Animator or Animation Supervisor
- May supervise the work of entry, mid and mid-high level animators at the discretion of the Animation Supervisor
- Participates as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions; provides feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis
- Expected to train and mentor new Animators as well as provide technical assistance to the show supervisors before and during the production
- Maintain or exceed a consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high quality work.
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
Key Peers or Relationships ( Positions in the organization in which good relationships are important for success in this role.)
Animation Supervisors, Animation Leads, Key Creatives, Department Production Manager
(Education, Experience and Skills/Competencies)
Education / Experience :
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivale nt in traditional animation
- Significant experience working in computer animation ideally in a Feature Film VFX environment .
- Expert knowledge of traditional animation principles, acting, film production and compositional design while demonstrating exceptional skills as an animator based as evidenced by portfolio, demo reel and references.
- Significant experience working at Mid-Level Animator level in conjunction with recommendations for advancement by the Animation Supervisors and the Department Manager.
Required Technical Skills / Competencies :
• Knowledge of UNIX and shell scripting; expert knowledge of Maya, proprietary and other software programs.
• Knowledge of chaining and constraint techniques.
• Knowledge of both the CG production pipeline and the other production processes at ILM.
• Excellent organization and communications skills.
Confidential Page 1 of 2 7/6/2018