The Effects TD generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They are responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
- Designs and creates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems.
- Light complex/multiple creatures (hairy or furry creatures) and elements.
- Can set-up and wrangle heavy particle effects and enormous crowd shots.
- Excellent pipeline scripting ability.
- Solid compositing ability, can wrangle blue-screen extractions, working knowledge of Nuke.
- Can write plug-ins, debug simulations and write set up and surface shaders with proficiency.
- Can write/hack procedural surface shaders and volumetric shaders with proficiency.
- Can animate moderate objects with proficiency.
- Can pick-up new techniques quickly and easily and can debug just about anything.
- Sets a standard for all Technical Directors in continually raising the bar for speed, quality of work and adaptability
Education / Experience:
- 3-5+ years production experience or feature film experience with effects simulation work
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or computer graphics
- Demo reel required
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision to complete a shot.
- Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism
- Excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next should be addressed in the shot
- Engages in the creative process without ego, and accepts all final decisions with a positive and supportive attitude.
- Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye, anticipating potential problems and using knowledge of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look.
- Demonstrates superb problem-solving skills and takes the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions.
- Prioritizes tasks and manages time very well
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Linux and scripting ability in Python
- experience in MEL
- Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, XSI, 3DS Max or other software, and the ability to write expressions
- C++ skills