The Compositing Lead | Supervisor will perform both a leadership role as well as a hands on role in the 2D team in our Chicago office. Essential to the success of this role is a hands on approach and to be a highly skilled compositor. Depending on the work in the studio, the Compositing Lead | Supervisor will either supervise an entire project, lead a portion of a project or perform as a hands on compositing artist. They will also work closely with the Creative Directors in a client facing role, attending client meetings and helping us to win work.
We are looking for someone with the blend of technical and creative skill on the box as well as a desire to lead. The Compositing Lead | Supervisor will report into the Chicago Creative Directors.
Key to this role will be a flexible, can do approach essential in a small comp team. The Compositing Lead | Supervisor will be part of the Global 2D management team, taking part in decisions to do with pipeline tools, software and workflow with our other offices across the globe.
- Take briefs from VFX Supervisors and Creative Directors to execute assigned shots or sequences.
- Oversee sequence and shots on projects in order to maintain consistency and time saving efficiencies.
- Integrating 2D, 3D and live action elements to a high standard • Working with clients in order to create their vision
- Meeting schedules and project deadlines
- Ongoing communication with Production and Supervisors regarding schedules and deadlines
- Taking responsibility for own workload, time management and notes/feedback actions required by Supervisors
- Leading and mentoring junior team members, guiding them on how to best present their work.
- Balancing the creative and technical aspects of each shot
- Able to provide preliminary and final color correction for the spots
- Support producers in bidding projects and helping creative directors pitch and win the 2D aspects of projects
- Maintain good relations with all other departments and address any issues promptly
- Work with Supervisors and Department Heads to improve workflow and tools within the Compositing Department
- An excellent working knowledge of and at least 6 years production experience with Nuke in commercials and film projects
- Experience in mentoring junior team members
- A pro-active and collaborative work ethic
- A strong eye for detail, composition, color and lighting
- The ability to multitask, prioritize and problem solve in a quick turnaround commercials environment
- An understanding of color space principles
- Photoshop and Linux experience
- Knowledge of practical lighting for photography
- A working knowledge of the overall VFX pipeline
- Programming and coding experience and knowledge
- Experience with Hiero, Shot gun, After effects, Final Cut, Flame is desirable