Weeknights on MSNBC, Lawrence O’Donnell brings a unique mix of knowledge about politics and the entertainment industry to “The Last Word.” The hour-long program, produced out of 30 Rock in New York City, provides analysis of the top political developments in the news and the most talked about stories of the day. We are seeking an experienced investigative producer to join our team.
Responsibilities include, but will not be limited to:
- Pitch and develop original story ideas
- Conduct in-depth research, report and produce original, interesting compelling and engaging stories
- Oversee all aspects of production of stories including casting, booking, writing, graphics and producing both taped segments and live shots
• Undergraduate degree, preferably in journalism, political science, history, English, or a related field of study
• At least 5 years as an investigative reporter, writer, producer and/or editor at a news organization
• A strong news background including covering breaking news in a competitive environment, with staff newsroom experience
• Must be versed in a wide range of investigative reporting techniques and approaches
• Must be aware of journalism standards and adhere to the highest journalistic practices
• Existing network of sources in key areas (politics, criminal justice, and/or transit)
• Proven skillset in both the field and the edit room, with a strong attention to detail and ability to deliver high production value on strict deadline
• Experience working in a multi-platform environment, providing content tailored to broadcast, cable and digital properties across the various news brands and portfolios
Additional Job Requirements:
• Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through Apply
to be considered
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY
• Must be able to work under pressure, turn stories and thrive in a deadline-driven environment
• Must be willing to work overtime, nights, holidays, and weekends, often with short notice
• Ability to travel as needed, often times with limited notice.
• Native curiosity in just about everything, and desire to look far and wide for good stories
• Demonstrated strong knowledge and interest in news and current events.
• Proven team player, willing to pitch in on any and all projects
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments
• High comfort level on executing assignments generated by editors
• Knowledge of NBC News policies, guidelines and practices
• Ability to shoot video and still photography for digital platforms
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.