We are looking for a copy editor for NBC News Digital to uphold the quality and accuracy of our news articles. The candidate should be an experienced copy editor from a major breaking-news operation – ideally a newspaper, magazine or news website. The editor should be able to handle articles on tight deadlines, fixing errors of spelling, grammar and style, and helping reporters and story editors with fact-checking and issues of structure. Experience in helping to write effective ledes, nut grafs and digital headlines is strongly preferred, as is familiarity with the AP stylebook. This position will report to the senior copy editor for NBC News Digital.Job Duties
- Copy edit stories on deadline to fix errors of spelling, grammar and style, and help reporters and story editors with fact-checking and issues of structure.
- Ensure the tone of articles is in line with Apply editorial strategy, and the voice and standards of NBC News.
- Ensure consistency in NBC News style, and help establish and maintain style guidelines.
- Assist editors and reporters in writing headlines and captions.
• Five years working as a copy editor in a breaking-news environment at a major newspaper, magazine or news website.
• Must have bachelor's degree
• Must be able to work early morning, evening and/or weekend hours depending when demanded by news coverage or other editorial responsibilities.
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding and competitive environment.
• Must be a skilled editor with outstanding communication skills.
• Working knowledge of digital media technology, particularly content-management tools.
Additional Job Requirements
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through Apply
to be considered
• Must be willing to work in New York.
• Ten years working as a copy editor in a breaking-news environment at a major newspaper, magazine or news website.
• Demonstrated experience in helping young writers and editors improve and tighten copy.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.