What is a Runner?
Runners are essential to the smooth running of Framestore as a business. Whether they are providing assistance to our clients and employees, ensuring that our facilities and meeting spaces are clean and tidy, delivering messages or sourcing resources for our teams or simply making a cup of tea, our Runners are integral to everything we do.
Our running team have opportunity to gain training in multiple areas from FX to Production. There is also the chance to be seconded into any area of the business; Film, TV, VR, Rides, Commercials, Labs, Design and more.
Take a look at this video and our Periscope profile to hear some of our past and present Runners talking about their experiences.
Do I need a visual effects qualification?
There is no requirement to have a formal qualification to be a Runner at Framestore. All of our Runners are able to demonstrate that they understand the basics of visual effects production by including a portfolio/demo-reel with their application. Some have produced this portfolio through their studies at college or university while others have simply studied and practiced in their own time.
What do you look for in a Runner application?
If you are considering applying to be a Runner at Framestore then you will need to:
· Be hugely passionate and enthusiastic about a career in visual effects
· Be super switched on and able to deal with any problem that might come your way (how to carry a life-size plaster dinosaur head anyone?!)
· Give 110% to the job and be prepared to spend a lot of time pounding the corridors/pavements - this is definitely not a job for a couch potato
· Get tasks completed for people before they even knew they needed it doing
· Be genuinely fascinated by people and able to talk professionally and positively to anyone and everyone
· Have a fabulous sense of humour!
· Strive to be the best Framestore team there is
Will I be able to progress?
Working as a Runner at Framestore gives you the opportunity to see how the whole studio operates and gives both you and us the opportunity to work out your strengths and to find a role that will suit you moving forward.
It is important to us that our Runners have the opportunity to build a career at Framestore and we have a long history of Runners moving up in the company. In fact, several of our senior management team started here as Runners!
In addition to your Runner duties you will be enrolled onto our Runner Development Programme. The programme takes the following format:
· A maximum 12 month contract (normally 2 x 6 month contracts) with a minimum of three shifts (24 hours) per week. Runner shifts cover a full 7 day week
· A dedicated mentor to assist you track your progress and work towards building the skills and knowledge required for junior roles
· The opportunity to be seconded to other departments in the business for up to 3 months at a time
· Access to online training resources and departmental overview talks/sessions
· Runners working on a more ad hoc basis e.g. weekend Runners, casual Runners etc. will not be included in the Runner development programme.