NBC News Digital is looking for a deputy politics editor to join its team in New York City.
The successful candidate will be an ambitious, well-rounded journalist with several years of political editing experience.
This position will focus on editing breaking politics and government news. The editor must be able to edit and publish news minutes after it breaks, and quickly write alerts, working closely with the political reporters. Candidates should have a keen eye for ledes and an ability to write sharp and creative headlines quickly. They should know how to work with reporters to develop a story rapidly after first publication and have a well-tuned radar for breaking political news.
The deputy politics editor will also work on originally reported enterprise pieces and news features.
Topics will range across the White House, Congress, Supreme Court, federal agencies, the Mueller investigation and the midterms and 2020 campaigns.
The deputy politics editor will work closely with the senior politics editor in New York and other politics and news editors in New York and Washington, with teams of political reporters in New York and Washington, and with NBC’s extensive resources on its network and cable platforms who are involved in political coverage.
An understanding of Washington, national politics, campaigns and government is a must. Planning and organizational skills are helpful.
You must be able to work fast and error free with grace under pressure.
Three to five years of editing experience, some or all of it in politics, is preferred. Experience on a breaking news desk is preferred.
Fluency in SEO, social-media and basic analytics is required. An understanding of video is preferred. Job Duties
- Play a major role in Apply’s breaking news coverage.
- Work with politics reporters in Washington and New York to support their reporting and help make their stories better.
- Generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles for the big stories of the day.
- Ensure the tone and mix of stories is in line with NBC News Digital editorial strategy, and the voice and standards of NBC News Digital.
- Share information and collaborate with all NBC News platforms in a timely fashion.
- Some evening and weekend work may be required. That’s the politics news environment we are in.
• At least five years of journalistic experience at major newspapers, magazines or news websites, at least half of which has been editing of political news and enterprise stories, preferably in digital form.
• Exceptional leadership skills and ability to act as ‘player/coach’ with the team. A collaborator who can work easily across a large organization.
• An ability to manage a budget and represent the needs of the team internally.
• A proven ability to partner with video and graphics teams, product, technology and sales to deliver compelling and competitive digital products.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.