At NBC News Digital, the Devices Team goal is to deliver the news to our users on connected devices. We build and improve NBC News apps for mobile, TV and voice.
The Device Services Team is a small group within the larger Devices Team, focused on ingesting the breadth of NBC News content, and providing it out to our apps via app-centric APIs, to enable these apps to be efficient, reliable, and informative. We collaborate closely with product managers, UX designers, app engineers and editorial staff to build the right services to make the best app experiences. This position is an opportunity to play a critical and highly-visible role in the digital evolution of NBC News, one of the world’s best known and most trusted news organizations.
This position is based at the NBC News engineering office in Downtown Seattle.What You’ll Do:
- Write, test, review, and ship code that powers our app-facing APIs and microservices. You’ll typically write Go and NodeJS code.
- Act as a partner to other engineering squads to collaboratively develop the APIs and services that power our apps.
- Collaborate on system design, including data models, data flows, schemas and API contracts.
- Extend and enhance our software stack with appropriate tools and patterns
- Contribute to our continuously improving our development practices.
- Act as an advocate for Devices team and advise our product, design and peer development teams.
• A Bachelor’s degree (or higher-level degree) in computer science or a related field and/or a history of relevant work experience
• 2+ years of industry software development experience
• Experience with modern application stacks and development practices, including AWS & serverless technology
• 1+ years experience with Go or Node.js. Experience with datastores like Redis or MongoDB. GraphQL knowledge a strong plus
To be successful and have fun here, you should:
• Be a problem solver
• Collaborate across teams
• Wrestle with ambiguity in projects, get started and take steps to get to engineering clarity
• Show a desire to learn new technology contexts
• Be entrepreneurial and proactive
• Be an avid user of mobile and TV apps
• Balance ideal, elegant designs with pragmatic business and user needs
• Be user-centric, understanding the needs, habits and processes of the end users the APIs and services you work on and working with product and design to craft great experiences for them
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.