Walt Disney Animation Studios combines the very best in artistry and storytelling with cutting-edge technology to bring wonderful new stories to the big screen for audiences around the world. Constantly challenged to create innovative new technologies for animated features, theme park productions, and special projects for the Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney Animation Studios is home to some of the most talented artists working in the film industry today.
The Apprentice Program
Join us for an opportunity to experience the art of animation and be a part of Walt Disney Animation Studios. The Apprentice Program is available for recent college graduates of art and animation, fine art and design, computer graphics, engineering, production, and general film studies undergraduate or graduate programs (within three years of graduation date) for a 3, 6 or 12 month paid position at Walt Disney Animation Studios. The Talent Development Program starts out with an immersive Trainee experience offering participants a chance to understand the depth of their new skills, refine and strengthen key areas, apply them in our real world environment, and work under the guidance of a Disney Mentor.
The Apprentice Program is based in our Burbank, California and begins October 2018. The first three months of the Apprentice Program starts out as a Disney Animation Trainee.The deadline for applications is August Apply
:59 PM PST.
The Set Extension/Matte Painting Trainee
Disney’s Set Extension/Matte Painting Trainees use their knowledge of today’s CG tools, combined with their strong painting skills,toseamlesslyextenddigital environments in a 3D world.
To apply for this position you must upload a resume and a reel with a reel breakdown.
- Ability to work with the Production Designers and environment team to stylistically extend a fully-built, digital environment beyond a decided point using a shot-specific, generalist workflow
- Understands a 2.5D workflow with multiple projection cameras.
- Create backgrounds, landscapes, and environments in a 3D world using digital programs such as Maya, Photoshop and Nuke,as well as Disney’s proprietary software (GI renderer,etc.)
- Extrapolate art direction: i.e. design, architectural style, lighting, and graphics, which adhere to the Production Designer's overall vision
- Support the technical aspects of the work created
- Use expertise to help influence the future direction of Set Extension tools and techniques within the Look Development department
- Collaborate with the Art Department, Layout, Modeling, Look Development, Lighting, and Stereo teams
- Learn the Look Development tool set and share the Set Extension process to the rest of the Look Development group
- Bachelors degree or comparable experience
- High skill level in painting, composition, perspective, and color theory
- Good artistic skills with willingness to learn new workflows
- Strong skills in programs such as Photoshop, Maya, Nuke, etc.
- Knowledge of Mac OSX and Linux
- Samples of both Set Extensions and traditional painting as well as the ability to match different artistic styles
- Ideal candidates have experience in Modeling, Look Development, and Lighting within 3D environments, and/or generalist background.
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.