Do you like designing and leading complex, multi-disciplinary projects? Are you one who takes control, designing and driving projects and technical solutions from concept through completion?
The Projects & Integration Team within NBCU’s Operations & Technical (O&TS) Organization, Project Strategy has an opening for a Design/Project Engineer. The ideal candidate is one who highly technical, likes the challenge of solving problems, likes designing technical solutions, and one who is interested in “tip-of-the-spear” and “first-of-a-kind” technology and strategic projects. The broadcast industry is at a cross-road, heading into a brand new world of technology. The Design Engineer will help deliver on projects leading NBCU’s future into the next generation of content delivery and distribution including, but not limited to, video over IP, OTT (over-the-top) delivery, digital streaming, VOD (video-on-demand), and future technologies for content distribution and documentation. The right candidate is one who is up to a challenging and rewarding position!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establish and maintain knowledge of current developments in broadcast technology
- Embrace and usher in new technologies to the broadcast environment
- Design technical solutions to new distribution challenges
- Formal presentation of broadcast infrastructure topics to technical peers and management (POC, new projects, standards, new ideas)
- Create, build, and maintain signal flow diagrams, update and maintain standard documentation
- Manage utilization of infrastructure such as Routers, Rack Space, Power, etc.
- Manage existing documentation, ensuring changes to systems are correctly captured and documented
- Work with engineering and operational partners to ensure project timelines are met, and project priorities and dependencies are clearly defined
- Interface on a technical level with fellow engineers to explain design choices, workflows, configuration, etc.
- Specify, design, and order required equipment and materials to complete projects and integrate them into the on-air environment
• Possess analytical skills for incident assessment and problem solving
• Strong attention to detail and appreciation for accurate documentation
• Good verbal communication skills
• Working knowledge of network concepts and software application workflow
• Proven understanding of baseband video signal flow, standards, and common video infrastructure
• Good understanding of IP infrastructure and topology
• Self-motivated; an independent worker who also performs well in a collaborative environment
• Positive and professional attitude
• Basic knowledge of networking and broadcast hardware
• Willingness to learn and embrace new technology
• Experience with AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and Visio
• Software development and programming skillset
• Understanding of virtualization and IP infrastructure
• Understanding of broadcast and distribution technologies
• Wide understanding of Broadcast Television technologies from Studio & Post Production to Master Control & Distribution
• Experience with virtualization software and hardware
• Familiarity with video encode/decode process, and understanding of format differences
• Experience in building/maintaining a variety of file storage systems, as well as archive solutions
• Ability to handle a multi-project work environment and manage time accordingly
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.