- At NBC News Digital, the Content Technology Team creates the tools and infrastructure that empowers reporters, editors and producers to tell stories that impact our world - from breaking news, to cogent opinion, to original reporting, to innovative video, to everyday lifestyle stories.
- API engineers on the content team work with technologies like React, Node.js, Go, GraphQL, Elastic Search, RabbitMQ and more to create the platforms that power NBC News’s websites and applications. We collaborate closely with upstream producers and downstream consumers of our data as well as product managers, designers, front-end engineers and the newsroom to build the tools, systems and infrastructure that manage NBC News’s content and deliver it to our web sites, apps, and other developers.
- This position is an opportunity to play a critical and highly-visible role in the digital evolution of NBC News, one of the world’s best known and most trusted news organizations.
- This position is based at NBC’s headquarters in Rockefeller Center in New York, NY.
What You’ll Do:
- Build, test, review, and ship software for our suite of APIs and microservices that power our web, mobile and device platforms, primarily focusing on our back end stack, which uses Go, Node, Redis, MongoDB and GraphQL
- Act as a partner to other engineering squads to collaboratively develop the systems that our content management and front-end teams use
- Collaborate on the design of data models, data flows, schemas and API contracts
- Extend and enhance our toolchain and contribute to our existing development practices
- Act as an advocate for your team and advise our product group, other development teams and the newsroom
- Serve as a leader and technical mentor for the group, helping build and expand our technical and team practices
- Help guide the selection and implementation of new architectures, technologies and methodologies in our group
• A Bachelor’s degree (or higher-level degree) in computer science or a related field and/or a history of relevant work experience
• 5+ years of relevant work experience
• Experience with modern application stacks and development practices
• Experience with back-end engineering, including knowledge of architectural practices and evaluating and implementing new technologies
To Be Successful and Have Fun in this Role:
• Be entrepreneurial and proactive
• Collaborate with different development squads, learn and understand the larger architecture of our systems and contribute to them
• Balance ideal, elegant designs with pragmatic business and user needs
• Be comfortable working across the whole technology stack, from front-end presentation to back-end systems
• Be OK with ambiguity and with building and iterating to remove ambiguity
• Be user-centric, understanding the needs, habits and processes of the end users the APIs and services you work on and working with product and design to craft great experiences for them
• Be a systems thinker, understand the broad implications of changes and new development, and approach technology holistically
• Have depth in our core technologies and a willingness to learn new ones
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.