OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Blue Sky Studios
One of the world's largest producers and distributors of motion pictures, 20th Century Fox Film produces, acquires and distributes motion pictures throughout the world. These motion pictures are produced or acquired by the following units of 20th Century Fox Film: Twentieth Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox International Productions, and Twentieth Century Fox Animation. Blue Sky Studios is the animation studio behind the wildly successful ICE AGE and RIO franchises, along with this year's FERDINAND animated feature film!
Materials TDs are responsible for defining the feel of every surface in a film. This includes characters and background environments. The Materials group works very closely with the Art Director to establish the level of realism or abstraction that the film requires. Each member of the group is expected to contribute technical expertise and visual creativity.
- Work collaboratively with Materials Supervisor, and fellow Materials TDs to create beautiful materials that meet the approval of the Director and Art Director.
- Design and create procedural and hand painted textures that meet visual demands and are technically sound enough to be reused by others.
- Develop proficiency with our proprietary renderer CGI Studio++, including shader design, fur coloring, and scripting.
- Help maintain existing departmental tools and identify and help develop new tools when needed.
- Troubleshoot complex materials, renderer, and pipeline problems.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent in computing science or related field.
- Prior High-end CG production experience required.
Skills, Abilities, Special Licenses or Certificate:
- Experience with Procedural Texturing in an advanced rendering package (RenderMan, Arnold, etc.).
- Experience with 3D paint packages (Mari, Substance Painter, etc.)
- Production experience with scripting. (Python, PyQt, RenderMan, MEL and/or similar).
- Good artistic eye for detail with ability to create a look to match various Art Department references.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of surface properties, and their relationship to lighting and rendering.
- Understanding of artistic concepts of color, composition and pattern.
- Strong experience with the UNIX or Linux operating systems.
- Ability to manage resources to achieve aesthetic goals on schedule.
- Experience working in a production environment preferred.
Working Conditions and Environment/Physical Demands:
- The Materials TD works in a world-class Animation Studio with demanding schedules and hard deadlines: As production demands increase overtime may be required for this position.
- Office working environment
- Approximately 80% of time will be spent working on a computer.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.