The Digital Platform (DP) organization is responsible for driving critical technology decisions and investments on a global basis, across all divisions and studio teams. Technology and engineering leadership is critical to making the industry's best games and services and the DP team is leading the way to providing cross-platform infrastructure that will keep our consumers connected with our games anytime, anywhere with anyone.
Software Engineer Manager, Player Reliability Engineering (PRE) does at EA:
- Provide technical leadership and be part of the technology team that designs and develops the application platforms and the tools which simplifies performance and reliability engineering.
- Own the core system quality attributes relating to product architecture, such as performance, scalability, security, availability, reliability etc.
- Collaborate with Product management and game teams to understand the requirements that will form the core foundation for all the in-house test tools and techniques
- Drive the brainstorming on the new products, tools and services required by EADP internal teams & Game Teams
- Evaluates emerging technologies and software products to determine feasibility and desirability of incorporating their capabilities within the company products
- Works as an Individual contributor (IC) and mentors the junior engineers technically and groom them to become experts in the technical area
- Hands-on in Coding and Testing and Deployment in the large-scale environments.
- Hands-on experience with building world-class web applications, especially in a distributed system.
The next great EA Software Engineer Manager also needs:
- Architect, Design, develop the Web applications.
- Think in terms not just of how to architect and code systems, but also in term of how systems commonly fail and architectures commonly fail to scale. (Quality, Development)
- Provide technical leadership for project and team through design and code reviews, ensuring best software development practices are applied.
- Thinks in terms not just of code but of architecture, and you communicate your ideas effectively to others within your division.
- Focuses on preventing the introduction of defects during the software development process rather than finding defects after testing begins. You drive software engineering best practices within your division.
- Influences the team's technical and business strategy by making insightful contributions to the team's priorities and approach. You make a significant contribution to the team planning.
- Get a lot done. You work very efficiently and routinely deliver the right things.
- Harmonize discordant views, find the best way forward and convince your team. Demonstrates resilience and navigate difficult situations with composure and tact.
- Deliver high quality software & products with a Continuous Integration, Validation and Deployment methodology.
- Extensively use open source products/tools and Architect the systems for easy maintenance of code and deliver in smaller cycle time.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or higher
- 7-10 years of relative experience
- Must have extensive experience building applications in a fast paced agile environment.
- Deep knowledge of building high performance, highly available, reliable, distributed systems software
- A strong background in Data Structures, Algorithms, Design patterns, analysis of algorithm complexity and efficient implementation of complex algorithms
- Experience with software development tools such as source control systems, automated build systems, compilers, software validation systems, test harnesses, continuous integration & deployment.
- Have played a leading role in the implementation and deployment of a successful enterprise-level system. This may be as a lead developer or as a test lead. (Quality, Development)
- Development experience with cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Azure, etc. is a definite plus.
- Comes from a product development background (desirable).
- Ability to work in an environment with high degree of ambiguity (previous start-up like experience could be helpful)
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) - able to communicate effectively with all levels of management as well as a geographically and culturally diverse technical organization